Saturday 6 August 2011

Why Fostering is Not the Answer - Yet

A few times people have asked me "what about fostering?" I just wanted to explain a bit about where we are at with fostering. When we first got together my husband and I discussed it at length, and we really wanted to foster, particularly children with additional needs. So when we learnt that Joseph would be our only we started to look into it.

Unfortunately there is a lot legislation and a lot of guidelines that need to be followed and adhered to. I rang agencies to start with, and at the moment we are not the type of family that an agent would look at. I don't drive, and having a small child is an issue, it means that we couldn't really take older children, and any fostering agency puts the needs of your own child first.

So it was suggested we look at local authority. We've had a few meetings with them, and we went on the preparing to foster course, which we greatly enjoyed. It was decided that due to me not driving, the "home from home" program would be best for us. That is where we offer respite to a family with a child who has a disability. Unfortunately we are no further forward, presumably due to budget cuts.

The not driving thing has become a real issue, which is a shame. I didn't learn when I was younger then when I was pregnant I spent a lot of time and money learning to drive, and have failed, twice. I no longer have the resources to do lessons but intend to get back to it once I am working.

When Joseph is older we will revisit fostering and possibly adoption, but for now, it isn't really a solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment